Thursday, August 21, 2008

Questionnaire

This fun book related questionnaire came to my attention through LibraryThing.com from another member who reads Shelf Awareness. I love books and questionnaires so it made sense to answer the questions.

On your nightstand now: Technically I only have my Bible on my nightstand right now. I have a stack of books on the floor next to the bed. The stack was getting too tall to sit on my nightstand. In that pile there's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. And each night before going to sleep I do put the book I'm currently reading on my nightstand. Tonight that will be Full of Grace by Dorothea Benton Frank.

Book you’ve “faked” reading: I keep books that I thought I would like that didn't hold my attention, but I think they make me look more well-read if I keep them. They may not be great novels or well-known but they are different than books I tend to read. One is American Dreams by John Jakes and the other is Time and Again by Jack Finney.

Book you’ve bought for the cover: I remember being in the bookstore years ago looking for a fun, girly book. I only had the spines to give me a clue of that type of book to catch my eye. I came across a bright pink spine and have been hooked on the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella ever since.

Favorite book when you were a child: Silver by Norma Fox Mazer. It was more a young adult book than a children's book.

Book that changed your life: The only one that comes to mind is The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton. I don't know that it changed my life but it changed how I thought about writing--anyone can write and if you love it you can do it regardless of whether or not your goal is to get published.

Favorite line(s) from a book: I just read this last night, so it's fresh in my mind. From Full of Grace "But it wasn't the day for me to bail out on Michael. And to be honest, I couldn't foresee a day when I would. That was one more significant fact about really loving someone; when you did, you stayed."

Top five favorite authors: Elizabeth Berg, Sophie Kinsella, A.J. Jacobs, Nancy E. Turner, and Fannie Flagg

Books you recommend as regeneration when people say, “I’m bored by almost all contemporary American writers”: No one has ever said that to me so I haven't responded to that question exactly. However, top on my list of recommendations is Water for Elephants, The Thirteenth Tale and Garden Spells.

Book you can’t believe that everyone has not read and loved: Even though so many people have read the series, I am still surprised there are people who are against reading Harry Potter.

Book you can’t believe everyone has read and loved: I have two--She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Book you are an “evangelist” for: Depending on who I'm talking to and the type of book they like, it could change. I guess I would go for The Thirteenth Tale for the general population.

Book you most want to read again for the first time: Hmm...I really loved reading These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner so I think I'd like to enjoy that experience all over again.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Your favorite lines from a book--so true!

I'm also a Nancy Turner fan.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

The Thirteenth Tale is on my TBR shelf -- now I am especially lookinf forward to reading it!

Here are my answers. Fun game!