Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

This was a book that I added to my list of books to read awhile ago. It sounded interesting and I had heard good things about it. The cover and title just by themselves are both different and memorable. My husband refers to this book as the "Upside Down Dog Book" which just shows you a good cover can stick with you. The title is a long one and one I had a hard time remember until I had the book in front of me and read what it said. The title leads you to believe there will be a mystery involved--you're curious right from the start about what happens. A great way to start a book.

What I love about this book is that it reminds us that we can be who we are, think the way we think and can still be loved. This is a truly unique book. If there are books out there that are similar to this, I am unaware of them. The main character, Christopher, is not your average boy. He shows incredible intelligence, but also deep fears that we can all understand. I'm a logical, routine-driven sort of person and I can understand his need to have a schedule and timetables. You may not think you can relate to Christopher at first glance but you might be surprised.

This isn't your typical fiction book. Mark Haddon did a great job exploring this unique story.

No comments: