Saturday, August 16, 2008

Home to Holly Springs and other library books

Two weeks ago I needed a new book to read after finishing The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I went to the library in hopes to find the next book in the Elm Creek Quilt Series but it wasn't there. So I had to wander the library until I found at least one book that was on my mental to be read list. I ended up leaving with three, just because I could and even if I couldn't read all three in two weeks I could always renew them. I borrowed Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon, Full of Grace by Dorothea Benton Frank and On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah.

I choose Home to Holly Springs because I've read all but the last Mitford Series books by Jan Karon. I read them a few years ago so all the details of the storyline were a little fuzzy but since this new series is more about Father Tim's life growing up in Mississippi I found I didn't really need to remember everything from the other books to enjoy it. It was nice to spend some time with Father Tim and learn about him as a child and his family and friends. I started to really get into it about 3/4 of the way through when the story started to wrap up and it was more about things happening rather than just background. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

The two other books I borrowed from the library came about from two other books I got from the Early Reviewer program with LibraryThing.com. I reviewed Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank earlier this year. I was not familiar with either author before getting their newest books through the Early Reviewer program but since I enjoyed both books I thought I would read some of their other ones. I could be wrong but by judging from their books I've read, Hannah's On Mystic Lake will be very emotional and introspective and Frank's Full of Grace will still be reflective but a little lighter. I guess I'll find out soon enough, although I will have to renew them since they are due in two days.

1 comment:

Traci said...

I was really worried about Jan Karon until about page 150 in Home to Holly Springs. It was really slow going until then. But after that, I started remembering all the reasons I love Jan Karon. I do hope the next one will bring us back to Mitford, though.